Rugby Club Genève - Plan-les-Ouates

Rejoignez le forum, c'est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Dunk Low
Voir le deal
64.99 €

The future of english rugby....

4 participants

rugby - The future of english rugby.... Empty The future of english rugby....

Message  Papillon Lun 18 Sep - 17:50

I'm still undecided here and would need some help from my english friends to have some more insiders infos.

Who exactly is the future star of english rugby, the one man that will get you within 1 year from a side that lost 50% of its game to an undefeated 2007 world champion.

Is it Mighty Jonny Wilkinson who hasn't played an entire game for more then 2.5 years or Andy Farrell who's said to be the new Andy Ripley by english newspapers after catching one line out and scoring a push over try.

Your pov would be appreciated
Papillon
Papillon
Coach
Coach

http://www.fcgrugby.com/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

rugby - The future of english rugby.... Empty Re: The future of english rugby....

Message  Ben M Mar 19 Sep - 15:54

There will be no saviour of English rugby for this World Cup as far as I can see. I have no doubt that Andy Farrell is or will become an exceptional player but I don’t feel he alone is enough to turn England into world-beaters. I doubt, from what I have seen of Johnny since his many short-lived comebacks that he will return to the form that helped win us the world cup either.

We have great try scorers, good centres, good forwards.

But for me, England miss two things. First a leader in the forwards (could be Farrell), à la Jack for New Zealand, Eels for Australia, Pelouse for France, Johnson for England. And secondly a world class goal kicker (à la Wilkinson 2003).

For me, a leader is easy (ish) to find. It is a natural thing for some people so automatically someone comes forward.

A goal kicker is another thing. The reason England were so successful was in part due to a great overall team but mainly due to Wilkinson’s metonymic kicking. Teams knew that if you infringed within 50 meters of the try line it meant 3 points, every time. This meant one of two things. Let England play and they scored tries, or don’t and Johnny scores 3 points. Inevitably you ended up losing the game because of either or both.

England doesn’t have a goal kicker anymore. Even the once infallible Wilko is missing simple kicks. This could be because he’s changed his kicking style to stop his injuries but nonetheless he is still missing. Teams will not fear his % rate and so will slow ball down and give penalties away without worrying.

So what is the answer for England, a fly half who can kick, defend and pass. Dan Carter in short.

What we currently have on offer is not great reading…..Andy (Fat) Goode is well, fat. Charlie Hodgson is great for Sale but supports pressure a little like a Kit Kat. Oli Barkley doesn’t seem to be able to make the impression at International level and Johnny is constantly injured.

So I fear it will be disappointment for the Sweet Chariot come July next year. But its not all doom and gloom, as regardless of how poor England are, we can still watch with glee as France tonk everyone in the qualifying matches and then implode under self-imposed pressure in the usual manner and end the tournament in a disappointing 4th place!
Ben M
Ben M
Néophyte
Néophyte

rugby - The future of english rugby.... Empty Re: The future of english rugby....

Message  O'Driscol Mar 19 Sep - 16:40

Who cares about England!!! Go IRELAND. We'll kick every bodies ass. Very Happy
O'Driscol
O'Driscol
Joueur
Joueur

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie

Message  arno Mar 19 Sep - 16:53

WHO CARES ABOUT ireland ? GO SWITZERLAND!!
arno
arno
Capitaine
Capitaine

http://www.nanodesign.unblog.fr

Message  Ben M Mar 19 Sep - 17:01

F*ck Ireland, you clowns are only as good as O'Driscoll.

I'm with Arnaud, GO SWCHEITZ
Ben M
Ben M
Néophyte
Néophyte

Message  O'Driscol Mar 19 Sep - 17:10

Ok that's WAR. Will have to call the Boys back. Watch your knee cap. Laughing
O'Driscol
O'Driscol
Joueur
Joueur

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie

Message  Ben M Mar 19 Sep - 17:13

Typical Irish, first sign of a disagreement and the angry threatening behaviour comes out! No wonder you needed British rule on your little Island for so long.

(p.s. – any real Irish people please don’t take offence, Christian isn’t really Irish)
Ben M
Ben M
Néophyte
Néophyte

Message  Papillon Mar 19 Sep - 17:51

Benny,
when posting my original question, I wasn't hoping for such a detailed (and pessimistic) answer.

I've to say that I share most of your comments (except the part on the french falling apart under pressure since we only come second to NZ on that respect) but it's so sweet to my frogs ears to get it rom an englisman pov.

So you'll be coming to the RWC 2007 with little hopes and the (broken) chariot will go home early after a pool defeat vs SA and a disastrous quarter final vs Australia which will leave you in tears.
Good news is that, thxs to your indefectible Northern hemisphere spirit, you'll have to support France in the final vs NZ.....Isn't it ironic ?

Finally, as for the irish, they'll be shipped back even earlier after losing during pool games both to France (has been done before) and Argentina (also experienced....)
Papillon
Papillon
Coach
Coach

http://www.fcgrugby.com/

Message  Ben M Mar 19 Sep - 18:01

agree on all, sadly...

I'll probably even buy myself a french shirt and dig up proof of my french heritage...lez les bleus, allez les bleus...
Ben M
Ben M
Néophyte
Néophyte

Message  arno Mar 19 Sep - 18:14

I hope it 's not your French heritage which makes you a dirty opportunist...
arno
arno
Capitaine
Capitaine

http://www.nanodesign.unblog.fr

Message  Ben M Mar 19 Sep - 18:25

it's my french heritage that makes me dirty, its the english hertitage that makes me an opportunist!
Ben M
Ben M
Néophyte
Néophyte

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé